LIVING IN IKORODU, LAGOS - NEIGHBORHOOD GUIDE A suburban…
Living in Yaba, Lagos – Neighborhood Guide
Living in Yaba, Lagos – The Neighborhood Guide
Lagos state comprises the Mainland the Island. Yaba is a suburb on the mainland that comprises both federal, state, religious, educational and private institutions.
Yaba is a central place in Lagos and it is no doubt one of the busiest places in Lagos state.
It is located just before the Lagos island which makes it a good resident area for those who have to work on the island, but live on the mainland. We will be looking at the different places in yaba that has made it as popular as it is.
Yaba is a host to some of the most reputable schools in the country. These schools aren’t just reputable for their structure, they’re known for the standard established and for the good results they’ve produced over the years.
These schools include primary, secondary schools, and tertiary institutions. Some of the schools include,the university of Lagos,queens college, the Nigerian institute of medical research, the yaba college of technology, igbobi college, the federal science and technical college, the federal college of education, Methodist girls high college, and Western college.
Lagos state is a place that accommodates both Christians and Muslims. As Africans, especially Nigerians, it is usually difficult to leave behind, our religious cultures. So whether its just a work trip or visit, fear not. Here is a list of churches where you can worship, and where they are located in Yaba.
- Lagos Presbyterian Church – 384 Murtala Muhammad Way,Yaba Lagos.
- Yaba baptist church -sabo yaba 19/23 commercial avenue
- St Dominic catholic church- 356 herbert macualay way, yaba, Lagos
- Rhema chapel international church -120 Murtala muhammed, Ebutte meta, yaba, lagos.
- The redeemed christian church of God- lisabi street yaba, Lagos.
- Deeper life bible church – moronfolu street yaba
- The capstone church – 360 murtala muhammed way, yaba lagos.
- Covenant Christian center- 400 herbert macaulay way,yaba,Lagos.
So not all of us are Christians; as a matter of fact some of us are Muslims and traditionalists. However, there are two major religions in Nigeria; Christianity and Islam. So if you have the need to pray while you are at yaba, then you are welcome to visit the mosques in yaba.
- Central mosque yaba
Anwar ud-deen central mosque ebute meta
Every town, city or place should have somewhere that buying and selling of basic needs can take place. In yaba, there are two major markets; yaba market and sabo market.
Yaba market is popular for the commodities it sells; clothes. This market is mostly patronized by the students and residents in the environs. Yaba market is one of the most popular markets in Lagos because you can get all types of clothing, shoes and accessories. More than the clothes, its safe to say this market is the fashion hub of the yaba vicinity as there are various hair stylists, fashion designers, and so much more.
The sabo market is the opposite of yaba market. Here, foodstuff,household items, cleaning items and so much more are sold here. There are people who also sell clothes here as well. However, its not as much as the clothes sold at yaba. If you need foodstuff or any related household stuff, then sabo is your best bet.
Hotels in Yaba
Personally, when I have business in a particular place, I always prefer finding accommodation somewhere close by. So if you will be visiting yaba, its best you know your lodging options. In yaba, apart from hotels, there are serviced apartments, that you could lodge at; some of them have been stated below with their address, and price range attached.
- Unilag guest house– university of lagos, akoka, yaba, lagos -N4200-5000
- The snug -30, commercial avenue, behind first bank, sabo, yaba- N10,000
- Deke hotel– plot 79 karimu kotun, oyadiran estate sabo, yaba- N5,500
- Zest international hotel -12, saint finbarr’s college road, akoka-N6,500
- Niger palace hotel -1, thorburn avenue, sabo -N11,000
- Precinct comfort services – 20,harvey road off herbert macaulay way, yaba.- N15,000
- Apollo hotel – 23, oyadiran, commerciial avenue, sabo, yaba, lagos- N12,500
- Hadmof inn -21, moore road, yaba, lagos- N11,000 -N15,000
- Akins and Akins -This is a really good place for relaxation. They have variety of refreshing beverages. This spot is located opposite the APC secretariat, yaba.
- White house– located at number 9 chapel street, sabo, this hangout spot is one of the most amazing places to eat really good Nigerian jollof and different types of meat. They also have cool drinks awaiting you.
- Domino. This place is located directly opposite the custodian house. They run from 9:00am daily and at night, their outdoor area serves as an outdoor bar. Are you looking for a spot to chill and see the game, then this is the right place.
- Banilux bar. Banilux bar is another outdoor sports bar that has a very wide space and a place that you’ll certainly enjoy visiting. They serve good food, cold drinks, and have shows there occasionally. They also have an inn that you can decide to relax at, after your outing. It is located along chapel street, very close to white house.
- Ozone cinema. If you’ve got a new date ten this is the perfect place to visit. Yes it is a cinema, but here’s the surprise; there’s also a bar. You’ll get finger foods, good chilled drinks and interesting people.
Money Is a very essential commodity in Nigeria and w e are grateful that banks are now all over the place and accessible to us.
Here are some of cash points you can visit if you ever run out of cash.
- Zenith bank plc- Herbert Macaulay way
- Union bank yaba- 1-11 commercial avenue.
- Diamond bank- opposite tejuosho shopping complex.
One last thing about yaba you should know is that, there are different settlements or districts in yaba. They combine to make yaba a very industrialized and commercial area to live and work in. Some of these districts include akoka, jibowu, sabo, ebutte meta, etc. So when you hear these names, know that you are still talking about yaba.
I am certain that there are people who even live in Lagos but haven’t visited yaba. This will be a good time for you to visit and who knows, relocate.
You may click the links below to checkout properties for sale in Lagos